Summer 2020 at Métis Crossing
April 27, 2020
As a premier centre for Alberta Métis cultural interpretation, education, gatherings, and business development. Our overarching goal is:
Ensuring that the health and safety of staff and visitors is top priority.
To achieve this, Métis Crossing will be following all public health orders and measures outlined by the province of Alberta and the Métis Nation of Alberta.
- Communication related to Covid-19;
- Procedures for Staff or Visitors who are sick, visiting, or camping;
- Prevention measures (including screening, hygiene, cleaning, capacity of areas and physical distancing measures, and essential infrastructure to minimize transmission).
That is why beginning July 2, 2020, Métis Crossing will re-open to visitors, offering limited interpretive programming and camping options. Operating in accordance with provincial guidelines, Métis Crossing interpretive programming will be limited to our signature Meet the Métis program, providing isolated family units and small groups a socially distant interpretive experience.
Our Meet the Métis program is the perfect way for your family or isolated cohort to experience the beauty of the over 500 acres of wide-open spaces at Métis Crossing. Along with your close friends and family you will receive a private guided tour experience, connecting you with the distinct Indigenous story of the Métis people. Our Summer 2020 Meet the Métis package is the perfect family experience and includes:
- A guided interpretive tour that will include an introduction to Métis Crossing, the Métis peoples, and their heritage.
- A walking tour of traditional lands, camps and trappers cabin by our Métis Knowledge Holder, including:
- An overview of traditional seasonal practices and their importance to the Métis people, as well as demonstrations of art, stories, and history;
- A walk to the Sinclair and Cromarty Houses and Gardens;
- An introduction to the families, their history’s, and an exploration of their houses;
- A Garden tour.
- Explore the Riverwalk Trail, including:
- Medicine/Food walk
- Traditional Games
- Walk to Homer’s Place, including:
- Fiddling and jigging demonstrations
- Stories of the importance of music, dance, and celebration
- Evolution of the jig
- Jigging lesson
- Traditional Arts and Crafts
All tours are isolated to individual groups (you will only interact with the individuals you arrived with), making Meet the Métis the ideal get away for you and your cohorts.
Packages are available by pre-booking only. Beginning June 22, 2020 at 9:00am Métis Crossing will be accepting bookings for the signature Meet the Métis program. Bookings will be available to groups of 10 or less and all bookings will be allocated a reserved date and time for their private tour experience.