Métis Crossing Gift Shop
Métis Crossing Gift Shop Call for Alberta Métis Artists and Makers
Métis Crossing (MC) an affiliate of the Metis Nation of Alberta, is a Gathering Place located within the Victoria District National Historic Site along the North Saskatchewan River on the historic Victoria Trail, in Smoky Lake County. Located on five original Métis river lots that were established during the Fur Trade era, MC is nestled in the centre of the original Victoria Settlement which was a vibrant community of families from the many nearby river lots, Fort Victoria trading post, and the Victoria mission. MC tells the story of the Alberta Métis, who are a distinct nation of Indigenous people whose diversity is woven together with strong commonalities. Through immersive interpretive programs that include Métis historical homesteads, land-based learning opportunities, and the new Cultural Gathering Centre, visitors delight in authentic and meaningful experiences. Since being established, Métis Crossing has been a premier place for the sharing of Métis culture, Métis gatherings, educational opportunities, and business development.
Within the Cultural Gathering Center is a retail gift shop that continues telling the story of Alberta Métis by showcasing the many arts, products, and services of the Métis people residing in Alberta.
MC will feature artists based on criteria that includes:
- Retail potential
- How it relates to current exhibits, events, and interpretive stories
MC invites Alberta Métis and North East Alberta artists and makers to respond to this ongoing call for applications to have their work considered for retail sales at Métis Crossing.
- Applications will be accepted from both individual Métis artists and collectives. Collectives are defined as two or more Métis artists that have collaborated in producing fine art or crafts.
- Métis artists and collectives must be residents of Alberta to be eligible.
- Eligible applicants may submit up to five items per application in the following categories:
- Fibre art
- Mixed media
- Printmaking (excluding reproductions)
- Traditional Art
- Items which do not fall within the above categories may be included in the application however those items will be considered at the sole discretion of MC.
- All components of a submitted item must be produced or manufactured in Alberta (raw materials exempted).
How to Apply
Submit your work by email or by regular mail.
Should an Artist need to present in person, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org in order to arrange an appointment with Métis Crossing.
PLEASE DO NOT SEND ANY ACTUAL PRODUCT unless directed to by a Métis Crossing Gift Shop representative.
c/o Métis Crossing
Box 548, 17339 Victoria Trail
Smoky Lake, AB
Métis Crossing is not responsible for any costs incurred or related to preparation of applications by applicants. All applications become the property of MC upon submission and will not be returned. Applications that are incomplete may be rejected.
This call has no set end date; however, MC reserves the right to end this call without notice. Applications will be accepted until this call is officially closed. Applications will be reviewed regularly during the duration of this call.
Applications will be evaluated by a panel of Métis Crossing team members using the following criteria as a basis for assessment:
- Retail potential
- Sustainability of materials used
- Range of price points
Applicants that have work that passes this initial assessment by the panel will be contacted. MC may keep applications on file for future considerations.
Inquiries or questions about the status of applications can be made through email via email@example.com.